- 3 sheets yaki-nori (seaweed)
- 1 medium bowl filled with tap water and 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 4 cups prepared sushi rice
- 2-3 teaspoons wasabi
- 100g (approx.) piece sashimi salmon, cut into 1.5cm thick strips
- 3 strips takuan (pickled daikon), approx. 1.5cm x 18cm
- 3-6 thin asparagus, base trimmed, blanched
- 1/2 telegraph or Lebanese cucumber, deseeded, thickly sliced lengthways
- 3 strips seasoned kampyo (gourd)
- 1/4 cup (60ml) Kikkoman Naturally Brewed Soy Sauce
Kikkoman sauce used in this recipe
Futo-maki-zushi (large spiral sushi rolls)
1. Place a bamboo sushi mat, with slats running horizontally, in front of you. Place a sheet of nori about 2cm from the edge of the mat closest to you, shiny side down, with lines marked on the rough side of nori running parallel with slats on the mat.
2. Dip fingers into bowl of vinagered water and shake off excess. Pick up about 1 1/3 cups of rice and place across the centre of the nori.
3. Wet fingers again, then gently rake fingers over the rice to evenly spread rice over the nori, leaving a 2cm strip on the far side of the nori uncovered.
4. Use one finger to spread a dab of wasabi across the centre of the rice.
5. Place 1-2 strips of salmon, takuan, asparagus, cucumber and kampyo across the centre of the rice, making sure they reach both sides of the nori (or there won’t be any filling in the end pieces of sushi once cut).
6. With index fingers and thumbs pick up the edge of the sushi mat nearest you.
7. Use remaining fingers to hold filling in place as you begin to roll the mat away from you.
8. Roll forward, pressing the mat gently but tightly wrapping seaweed and rice around the fillings.
9. Hold the edge of the sushi mat and pull the mat forward to complete the roll. Using even pressure with fingers around the sushi mat, sushi roll can be gently shaped into a round or square shape.
10. Unroll mat and place sushi roll, join of the nori facing down, on a chopping board.
11. Wipe sharp knife with a damp cloth and cut the roll in half.
12. Cut each piece in half, wiping the knife between cuts with a damp cloth.
13. Cut each piece in half again to make a total of 8 pieces, wiping the knife between cuts with a damp cloth. Repeat to make 2 more rolls.
14. Arrange sushi pieces on a platter and serve with soy sauce in a dipping bowl.