- 75mL vegetable oil
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon red curry paste (adjust to 1tbsp for spicier flavour)
- 800g orange-coloured sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 4 cups (1L) salt reduced chicken stock
- 2 sticks lemon grass, bruised to release flavor
- 2 cups (400mL) coconut cream
- 1 tablespoon (20mL) fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons (40mL) Kikkoman Less Salt Soy Sauce
- 2 tablespoons (40mL) fresh lime juice
- Coriander leaves, to garnish
Kikkoman sauce used in this recipe
1hr 15min Cook time
1hr Prep time
Sweet Potato Soup with Thai Flavours
- Heat oil in a large saucepan. Add garlic and onion and cook over medium heat for about 10 minutes or until onion is golden, taking care not to burn.
- Add curry paste and stir for 1 minute until it smells fragrant. Add sweet potato, stock, lemongrass and coconut cream, bring to the boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 30-45 minutes or until sweet potato is tender.
- Remove from stove and allow to cool slightly. Remove lemongrass and discard. Blend soup in batches until smooth.
- Add fish sauce, Less Salt Soy Sauce and lime juice to soup just before serving, stirring in gently.
- Place in individual soup plates. Top with coriander leaves.
This recipe can be made the day before and refrigerated until needed. Add coriander just before serving.
Variation: substitute sweet potato for pumpkin if desired.
Variation: for a lighter consistency, substitute coconut cream for coconut milk if desired.