Roast Duck and Wonton Soup
Approx. 45 minutes
Approx. 1 hour 30 minutes
- 1 Chinese roast duck
- 1 litre (4 cups) chicken stock
- 200ml Kikkoman Less Salt Naturally Brewed Soy Sauce*
- 3 thick slices of ginger
- 3 star anise
- 2 pieces dried mandarin peel
- 2 spring onions, thinly sliced, plus extra, thinly sliced, to serve
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 16 wonton wrappers
- 4 baby bok choy, halved
- 1 packet of thick rice noodles (cooked according to pack instructions)
- 8 large shitake mushrooms, thickly sliced
- Remove each breast from duck in a single piece, leaving skin intact and refrigerate until required. Remove remaining skin from duck (discard), then shred remaining meat and set aside separately.
- Coarsely chop duck carcass with a cleaver and combine in a large saucepan with stock, Kikkoman Less Salt Soy Sauce, ginger, star anise, mandarin peel, cinnamon and 500ml cold water. Bring to the boil; reduce heat and simmer, skimming fat and scum from surface occasionally, until well flavoured (45 minutes _ 1 hour). Strain into a clean saucepan and set aside.
- Meanwhile, finely chop shredded duck meat, combine in a bowl with spring onion and garlic and set aside. Lay out four wonton wrappers, spoon a little duck mixture on one side of each, brush edges lightly with water, fold wonton wrapper over and press to seal edges, ensuring there are no air bubbles.
- Brush one corner of each half-moon with water, fold opposite corner over, press to seal and place on a tray. Repeat with remaining wrappers and duck mixture. Blanch wontons in a saucepan of boiling water until cooked through, drain and refresh.
- Preheat oven to 200C. Place duck breasts on an oven tray and warm through, then thickly slice. Meanwhile, bring duck broth to the simmer over medium-high heat, season to taste with white pepper and an extra splash of Kikkoman Less Salt Soy Sauce, add bok choy and mushrooms and simmer for 30 seconds.
- To serve, divide cooked rice noodles amongst warm bowls, add wontons, sliced duck breast, and portion duck broth amongst each bowl, scatter with sliced spring onion and serve hot.
*This can be replaced with Kikkoman Naturally Brewed Soy Sauce.