Slow Braised Pork Belly with Quick Pickled Salad
4 to 6
Approx. 3 hours
- 1kg pork belly, skin removed
- 4cm piece ginger, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, bruised
- 1 large brown onion, peeled and cut into wedges
- 250ml Kikkoman Japanese Barbecue Marinade & Stir Fry Sauce
- 100ml sake
- 500ml vegetable stock
- 2 tbsp. Kikkoman Naturally Brewed Soy Sauce
Quick Pickled Salad
- 1 cup rice vinegar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 3 red radishes cut into small wedges
- 1 large carrot, peeled and cut into matchsticks
- 1/2 daikon, peeled and cut into matchsticks
- 1 small Granny Smith apple, cut into matchsticks
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 4 spring onions cut into 4cm lengths to finish sauce
- Steamed rice to serve
- Cut pork belly into 4cm x 6cm strips. Heat a large fry pan and brown the strips on all sides. Place in a large heavy based casserole dish. Add remaining pork ingredients and combine. Bring to a boil and then lower heat to a simmer. Cover with a lid or foil and cook for 2-3 hours or until pork is very tender.
- Meanwhile, make the pickled salad by placing the sugar, vinegar and water in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil to dissolve the sugar. Place all of the remaining ingredients in a small bowl and pour over the hot vinegar mix. Combine and cover with plastic wrap. Set aside to cool and then place in refrigerator until ready for use.
- When pork has cooked, and sauce has thickened, remove from heat and stir in the spring onions and let the residual heat soften them.
- To serve, place pork in a serving bowl and drizzle with the remaining sauce. Serve with the pickled salad and a bowl of steamed rice.