To make a cucumber cup to serve wasabi in - cut a 3-4cm thick slice of telegraph or Lebanese cucumber. Make 3 cuts around the outside diagonally towards the centre and remove the excess to make a cup shape. Spoon wasabi into the cup to serve.
Nigiri-Zushi (Hand Shaped Sushi)
- 4 uncooked medium king prawns
- 1 medium bowl filled with tap water and 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- 125g sashimi fish (salmon, tuna, kingfish), thinly sliced
- 1-2 tsp wasabi + extra to serve
- 1 1/2 - 2 cups prepared sushi rice
- 2 tbsp (30ml) Kikkoman Naturally Brewed Soy Sauce
- 2 tbsp gari (pickled pink ginger)
- Telegraph or Lebanese cucumber cup, to serve wasabi (optional - see Tip box)
Thread each prawn with a bamboo skewer to keep it straight. Bring a medium saucepan of salted water to the boil and add prawns. Cook 3-4 minutes or until flesh changes colour. Rinse under cold water or put in a bowl of water and ice to cool quickly. Peel and cut along the belly side to open flat. Remove digestive tract.
To prepare sushi, dip fingers of both hands in vinegared water; shake off the excess.
Pick up one slice of fish in one hand, bending fingers slightly to form a cup shape to hold the fish. With the other hand spread a dab of wasabi down the centre of the fish slice.
Pick up about 1 tablespoon of rice with one hand, gently squeezing it into a slightly rounded rectangular shape.